Friday, December 18, 2009

Dogs

Dogs

When I was six years old I hit one with
a baseball bat. An accident, of course,
and broke his jaw. They put that dog to sleep,
a euphemism even then I knew
could not excuse me from the lasting wrath
of memory's flagellation. My remorse
could dog me as it would, it wouldn't keep
me from the life sentence that I drew:

For I've been barked at, bitten, nipped, knocked flat,
slobbered over, humped, sprayed, beshat,
by spaniel, terrier, retriever, bull and Dane.
But through the years what's given me most pain
of all the dogs I've been the victim of
are those whose slow eyes gazed at me, in love.

-Ronald Wallace

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I too have been punishing myself for being harsh to a dog a long long time ago. Another choice of words that amazed me...

Fly said...

Feliz Natal!

Bj*

zemac said...

Feliz Natal e bom 2010. Beijo

gingerandclove said...

nils:

... bj:)

fly&zemachado:

obrigada!!! a ver si tomamos un vinito juntos algun dia en el 2010:)