Tuesday, January 13, 2009




To Eve

Yesterday when I woke up
I was deep in the forest.
Night was preying on me.
I was ecstatic because earlier
I had promised to meet God
by the Falls, something he's been
wanting to show me. So I stood
up and shook off the stray leaves
from my hair and peeled off
the grass that had stuck to my skin.
I ran quickly past the bushes and thorns
past the maple trees and the apples
through the mud-streams and pools
and meadows of wind-grass and birds
until I came upon a clearing
and so I stopped. Then, my heart
began. It began to beat as I was
nearing the Falls, wading through
the feral water and fog. I saw
your shadow behind the falling flood,
then your body below the surface
swimming toward me. Your hair,
dark and wild. Slowly, you rose
from the mist. Then, my heart
began.


To Adam

It was summer and hot outside.
We wanted to visit the Park
but everybody was there, and so
in our living room we opened
the windows to let the wind in,
moved the chairs to the side, and
covered the floor with tablecloth,
our picnic basket full of the things
that you loved. I didn't know
how to cook, I lied, so when you said
you'd like to marry the woman
who baked the pie you were eating
I looked away, imagining how
the maid would run away with you
in the middle of the night,
lifting the skirt of her bridal gown
over the mud-pools in the woods.
Do you remember? You were asking
if I was hungry. I was thinking about
how the two of you would make love
in a little cabin outside town. I didn't
like the flavor, anyway. I said
no.

To the Snake

There is a reason Adam cannot match
your length. And you see this?
I want you to peddle this red
metaphor to somebody who'd
happen to pass by this tree
late in the afternoon, crying about
something. Tell her how beautiful
she is. Tell her how this garden
has a fence around it, that there could be
other men outside. Tell her
you love her. This is what you do:
Wait in this tree. Think about
suffering, the first suffering, you.
Hide in the branches. She will come
before the air darkens. Smell for her,
her smell like flesh and water-flowers.
Be ready to strike. She's a wild
creature. Watch yourself, the plan
is to make her fall in love with you
not you with her. The moment
your heart begins beating,
you will know she's around.
Gather yourself. Then, you
strike.

by Arkaye Kierulf

No comments: